Sunday, February 3, 2013

Like Tights

My daughter Josie reminds me so much of my mom.  They share certrain traits, like their strength, their energy, and their ability to appoach every situation with a can-do attitude.  Some days, they drive me crazy but most days they inspire me.

When I got home from the gym today, Josie was already dressed for the Super Bowl, but not in the red skirt and white top I had put out for her.  "Is that what you want to wear?" I asked.  I wasn't going to make a big deal of it, but I thought it would be fun to all wear red.

"Yes," she said as she twirled around in her leopard print skirt. "Is this okay?"

I appreciated that she even cared what I thought. "You can wear that, but I aslo thought we could wear 49ers colors. Lets go see my outfit and see what you think."

20 minutes later we were all in the mini-van wearing red, except for the 5 year old wearing animal print.  Even though she got to wear the outfit of her choice she was still mad at me because I wouldn't let her wear tights.  I told her that she would want to go on the trampoline. "Leggings would be easier."  She could just take her shoes off and run through the grass right to the trampoline.

Later that night, when I was getting the kids ready for bed alone, since Norm was still watching the game, I decided to skip bath. But I figured I should scrub the kids feets since they were outside without shoes.

Josie's feet were filthy.  And not just dirt filthy, but tar filthy.  I have no idea what was on that trampoline but it was not something that was definitely not afraid of soap. I gave in and soaked her in the tub, which helped. I even used Palmolive, which I vaguely remember is what they used to clean the baby ducks who get caught in oil leaks.  I got most of it off.

As I tucked her into bed, I said that next time we go to Uncle Steve's we should bring some soft shoes or socks so you can wear them on the trampoline.  "Something to keep your feet clean," I said.

"You mean, like tights?" she said as she looked me in the eyes and smirked.  I swear I was looking right at my mother. 

"Good night, Tina," I said with a smirk.

"It's Josie," she said and laughed herself to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment