Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Future In-Laws

Josie and Owen have fascinating conversations in the back of the min-van. I think, because it's such a big car, they forget them I'm in the front seat chaffeuring them around.

Lately, they've been discussing who they are going to marry.  At first, they thought maybe they'd marry each other.  "You can't marry your brother, right mom?" Josie said.  When I nodded, Owen whispered, "oh no."

Josie thought she might marry her cousin Drew.  He's a big strong, handsome guy and 16 years her senior - no suprise that's who she would pick. 

"You can't marry your cousin, either, Josie," Owen said with conviction, "Can you mom?" he asked pleadingly. 

"No it won't be your brother, your sister or your cousin.  But can we just stop talking about this?  It won't be for a long time.  You probably haven't met your husband or wife yet," I yelled back to the cheap seats.

"Your wife will probably be dumb," Josie said quietly, assuming that I thought the conversation was over and had stopped eavesdropping.  But I knew better. 

"Josie!" I yelled. She jumped a little in her seat.  "You do not want his wife to be dumb. You want her to be awesome because you are going to see her all the time," I said.

"She's going to be horrible to you," Owen said.  How is it that he knows just what to say to make my heart jump out of my chest.

"She will not!" I said.  "If your wife is horrible to Josie then mommy is going to get mad at her."

"She's probably going to be a witch," Josie said and looked out her window.

"To you," Owen said and looked out his.

The conversation was over.  I was exhausted.  Convinced I must live forever to keep the peace, I took several deep breaths and tried to center myself before making the left turn into our complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment