Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Christmas Lights on Eucalyptus Road

I could tell my husband, Norm, was a little irritated that we were driving 20 miles to see a street famous for extraordinary Christmas lights. On your way to the freeway, he pointed to a house with icicle lights and family of blinking snowman.


"That doesn't count," I said and pointed to the onramp to the 101N.


The excitement Josie and Owen had for seeing the lights faded after the first ten minutes on the freeway.


"This is too far," Josie said.


"I'm hungry," Owen said.


"We're almost there," I hoped. "This is going to be so much fun!"


The truth was I had no idea what this was going to be like. I heard from a friend that Eucalyptus Road in San Carlos was the best place in the Bay Area to see Christmas Lights. And I am always up for seeing the best of anything, especially something as wonderful as Christmas Lights.


We got off the freeway at Holly St. and navigated our way through San Carlos. We drove down one street that had a few homes with run-of-the mill decorative displays.


"Is this it?" My husband asked.


"I don't think so," I said and shifted nervously in my seat.


But a few seconds later, we turned left on Eucalyptus Road and were all pleasantly overwhelmed by the thousands of beautiful Christmas Lights.


"It's amazing," My husband said.


"Hooray!” Josie squealed.


"I see Santa! Owen said.


Driving slowly down the street, we admired the unique way each home was decorated. Some had themes. Some were just covered in lights. But all of them made us feel the magic of the season.


There was a house on the corner with Sesame Street characters. Josie and Owen screamed “Merry Christmas” and waved to Elmo and Cookie Monster.


Another house had orange lights and an SF logo in the window. My husband did a fist pump out the window and yelled, "Go Giants!"


I sat back in my chair and breathed a sigh of relief. Something for everyone, including me. My favorite part of the lights on Eucalyptus Road was that seeing them had just become a new family tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment