Monday, March 14, 2011

Dadurday

Saturdays are my favorite day of the week. And not because I get to sleep in.

My husband and I haven't used an alarm clock in over three years. As parents of two toddlers, we have a better chance of winning the lottery than sleeping in.

But on Saturday mornings, I have an extra skip in my step when I wake up at dawn to get my screaming toddlers out of bed. As I walk out of the bedroom I call back to my husband, "Time to get up, sweetie. It's Dadurday."

My husband has always made a point of giving me some free time on Saturday morning. To go to the gym. To get my nails done. To feel a little independent again.

Recently, we decided to make it official. So we gave the day a name - Dadurday. And ever since then, the children know that Dadurdays are my day off and their special day with Dad.

At first, I felt guilty driving off as my husband and children waved at me from the front window. I wanted to come home early to surprise them or meet them for lunch. But Dadurdays weren't just about time off for me. But about time together for them.

My husband gets to take them where he wants. Dress them how he wants. Feed them when and what he wants. After all, it's Dadurday, and he's in charge.

The children love spending the time with just him. He loves being spending time with just them. And both the children and my husband love spending time with me after I have had a little time to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment