Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Good Night Owen!

I felt horrible for getting mad at Owen today. He is usually such a great listener. So helpful and obedient. After putting him in timeout or sternly telling him no, I couldn't help but think about how I should punish myself for ruining such a well behaved boy.

Trying to put his pajamas on for nap, he ran away from me screaming, no, no, no and laughing an evil laugh in between each naughty no. I asked nicely. I asked sternly. I asked loudly. I asked pleadingly. Nothing worked. And I knew if I got up to grab him then he would scream with delight that the game of chase he so desperately wanted had begun.

"Owen, come here or you are going to bed with no books."

"No bed! No books! No mommy!" He yelled back.

"Ok, that's it." I grabbed him and practically wrestled him to the ground. He laughed like he was having the most fun he's ever had. I put on his pajamas.

"Say goodnight and go right to your room."

"Good night, Josie," he said and turned and ran to his room.

As I followed him I started to feel horrible again. Maybe this was all just a fun game for him and maybe he really no intentions of misbehaving. Maybe he didn't get it.

He grabbed a book and handed it to me with a hopeful look in his eyes.

"Sorry, no book, today," I said. I really wanted to read him one. But I was worried Josie was listening from the other room. I had to consistent.

"Night sweetheart?" He said, asking if I was still going to sing him the song I sang each time I put him in his crib.

"Okay," I said and picked him up. He at least deserved his favorite song, right?

I swayed back and forth and sang him the song. This time he looked me in the eyes as I sang instead of laying his head on my shoulder. As I looked in his sweet eyes, all I could think about was how hard I have been on him all day. I felt horrible for putting him to bed early and denying him a book before bed.

As I got to the end of the first line, Owen started to sing with me. It was our first Duet.

Here is how the song went:

ME: Goodnight sweetheart well it's time to goooooo
Owen: Goooo poopies

ME: I hate to leave you but I really must saaayyyy
Owen: Saaaayyy poopies

ME: Goodnight sweetheart, Goodnight
Owen: I hit mommy! (as he smacks me on the cheeks with both hands)

"Good night, Owen," I said and put him in bed. I was so thankful that he had made it perfectly clear that going to bed without a book was exactly what he needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment