Sunday, October 3, 2010

My North and South

As we drove over the grapevine, I dreamt that I lived 100 years ago. In a time without cars or airplanes that take you far away from the family that you love. I didn't fall in love with a man and a city that was so far from all of the other people I love.

There weren't cars or airplanes to take me far away. I found my independence just a cart and horse ride away. My horse never took me too far from my parents because my pa was the only one who ever fed the poor horse. I think in my dream my name was Laura Ingels.

I woke up and realized it was 2010 and my my husband was driving me and our children back from my sister's in San Gabriel.

My family didn't make it very easy to leave. They all stood outside my sisters house and waved as we drove off. 15 people standing on a front lawn waving goodbye as I drove off to a city where I couldn't get 15 people to buy me a cup of coffee.

I was most of all worried because our new home in Mountain View might not feel like home when we arrived. No matter how much I missed my family, I always the loved the feeling when we walked into our home in Morgan Hill. I immediately felt calm, relaxed, at peace and for a while I forgot how sad I was. Until the next time I drove away from the Von Trapp family waving in unison outside my parent's home.

But I was pleasantly pleased for find that I also felt very at peace in our new home. Even though the house isn't exactly as I want it and the area isn't exactly familiar, my family and I are exactly where we are supposed to be right now. The sadness has lessened and Josie has stopped asking me what time we are leaving to go to grandma's tomorrow.

Norm and I may never be the type of people that know exactly where we want to live. We may move and always miss the bay area or stay here and always miss my family. But I happy to at least realize that where I am supposed to be has less to do with North and South and more to do with Norm and the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment