Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Look

One of the things that I find remarkable about Josie at 3 years old is that she already knows when she is out of line. And better yet, she already recognizes the look in my eyes when I remind her she is out of line in case she couldn't tell.

Like when we get home from Baskin-Robbins and she asks to have ice cream before bed. I think she asks because she forgot. I also think she asks because she hopes that I forgot. But half way through asking me, she starts to laugh because she knows it was a silly question.

Along with this amazing sense of self, unfortunately, comes an amazing amount of sass. The tone of her "okay, mom" is so mature its almost an optical allusion that such words with such tone could come out of such a small mouth.

Now all I have to do when she says it is lock eyes with her and she instantly changes her tone. I am sure the immediate change of tone will take longer and longer and eventually disappear. Eventually I will be thankful when all I hear is a sassy, "Okay, mom." But I will always remember the days when she knew when she was out of line and when she cared enough to change her tone just because of the look in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment