Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fast Forward

Tonight was a parenting milestone. The kind that you dread. The ones that make you groan aloud as you wonder how time went so fast that you already arrived at the moment when your child tells you to turn the page back because you skipped a part of the book you've been paraphrasing for years.

"Wait, wait. You forgot to read the lumpkin, dumpkin, pumpkin part."

"Oh yes,"I said. "Silly me" and went back and read the entire book from front to back ruing the day I decided to try and raise an intelligent child.

But then she snuggled in close to me and hung on every rhyming word of every page I read. I realized that believe it or not, these moments that seem like torture to a tired mom that just wants to sit on the couch and relax are the days that I will miss the most.

Pretty soon, she will be the one who will be trying to say goodnight as quickly as possible so she can climb out the window and go meet her friends. And I'll be the in bed, wishing she could just stay with me a little bit longer and savor the simple time we shared together at the end of each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment