Friday, September 3, 2010

One Good Deed

Josie was extremely helpful today.

I was changing Owen's diaper and panicked as I pulled out the last wipe but was most definitely not done wiping.

I tried something new. "Josie, can you do me a favor?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

She looked my direction, neither agreeing or denying. Just waiting to see what it was.

"Can you get me more wipes from the play room?" She turned and looked at the TV. It was a commercial.

"Sure," she said and ran into the room. I was thrilled when I saw her bouncing around the corner with a pull tub of wipes.

Later in the day they were fighting over the tape measure.

"Josie, can you do me a favor?" I asked again. "Can you let Owen have a turn for a few minutes?"

"Okay," she said and picked up the broom. I was on a roll. This whole favor thing was great. I knew it wouldn't last long so I milked it all day.

When I tucked Josie into bed for the fifth time, she stopped me dead in my tracks as I was walking out of the room.

"Mom, can you do me a favor?" she asked. She was waiting all day for this. How could I possibly say no. And if I did say no then she would suddenly realize that no was an appropriate response to that question. And I'd be on my own again.

"Sure," I said.

"Can you turn the light on in the hall?" She asked.

Fortunately it was a reasonable request.

Half way down the hall, I heard it again.

"Mom, can you do me a favor?"

This was a great day. But its going to be a long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment