Thursday, September 2, 2010

A New Camino

I was in shock as I drove down El Camino this afternoon, realizing that in a few short weeks this would be my camino again.

My junior year of Stanford, my uncle gave me my cousins white honda. I think he felt sorry for me because I had cancer. But as I drove down El Camino that winter after the worst time of my life, I had never been so thrilled to have had such a horrible disease. As the crisp Northern California wind below through my spiky short hair, I was exhilarated to be a college student with her very own car.

I was realizing today that even though my route was the same my focus was different.

Instead of scouring the camino for bars that looked partial to letting in 20 year olds and coffee shops to study that had cute dotcomers who would buy me dinner, I was looking for Little Gyms and Starbucks with drive-thrus.

Instead of cruisng around in the backseat of Athena's mustang convertible screaming the lyrics to the latest hit rap song, I was driving my family friendly car screaming at Owen to stop singing Happy Birthday PeePee Josie.

We will still frequent some similar spots. Chilis, In N Out, and hopefully, one day, the 24 hour fitness.

No matter where we go, I am certain I will be driving up and down El Camino, and hopefully, once again, be on the right path.

1 comment:

  1. Excitement abound! Norman shares your enthusiasm. I'm thrilled for all of you and cannot wait to see your new home nestled in your beloved neighborhoods. I understand your enthusiasm with a new set of eyes than those of your college days.

    ReplyDelete