Sunday, August 15, 2010

Seeing Red

On Saturday I opened the dryer and all I saw was red. Blotches of bright red spots all over the freshly cleaned clothses. Bright red crayola colored spots.

It wasn't really a stretch for me to believe that I had washed and dried a red crayon along with all of the other. I was a little shocked and dissappointed in myself.

Imagine my shock when I did it again less than 24 hours later. I called for Norm. Both of us looked all around the dryer, cleaned out the filter to see how red crayon was still getting all over the clothes. I wondered if I destroyed the dryer somehow. Why wouldn't the crayon go away?

I was going through the clothes trying to determine for the second time in 24 hours if there was anything I could salvage. Norm was inspecting the dryer to see where the red crayon might be stuck.

"Oh no," I said as a red crayon wrapper fell to the floor. I was certain I had thrown the wrapper away yesterday. I was certain I was a complete idiot.

I know myself well enough to know that I am the type of person to put a crayon in her pocket and then wash the pants without checking the pockets. I just didn't think I was the type of person to do it twice, in one day. I guess you learn something new about yourself every day. Can't wait to see what I learn tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. We've done it. Maybe it's an inevitable part of parenting. I soaked the clothes in HOT water with detergent/oxyclean... not sure if there was anything else that we tried. But all of the crayon came out (we had to soak one shirt twice). The Just know it's not a lost cause (though the dryer was a pain to clean and still has a blue tint!)

    ReplyDelete