Saturday, August 21, 2010

Part II - The Sun Room

I had a dream this morning that we slept in and didn't leave for Morgan Hill at 5am like we had planned. I didn't have a clock in the room but I knew it must be at least 9am as the sun was shinging bright through the blinds. Just as I was about to jump out of bed and run around frantically, I opened my eyes and realized it was all a dream. It must have been a dream because only in dreams would my children sleep soundly until 9am.

When I opened my eyes, I realized the bright sun in my dreams was in fact that light near my head that Josie, my roomie for the week, insisted keeping on all night. Aside from being bright and shining directly into my pillow, I realized after being on for a few hours, the light actually started to radiate heat. Any tan I might have gotten this week as I insisted on spending as much time on the couch as possible most certainly came from the rays of this light rather than the rays of the sun.

For one night, I slept in the room with Owen who was fussy for some reason. While I laid in bed with him and tried to get to the bottom of his annoying behavior, Julianne went to the sun room to sleep with Josie.

As I laid in the pitch black room on the bed with Owen he tossed and turned for hours waking every few minutes after a few minutes of sleep. Finaly, I grabbed what I thought were his cheeks, turned them towards me and said, "Owen, what is wrong? What can I do to help you?" I pleaded.

"I want to watch a show," he said.

"Go to sleep," I said and rolled over and ignored the tossing and turning that had concerned me so.

I really can't say which was worse. Sleeping in the room with a night light as bright and warm as the sun or sleeping in a pitch black room with my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment