Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Traitor Joe's

There's nothing more embarassing than opening the trunk after a trip to Trader Joe's and realizing that you left the groceries in your cart. The moment where it all went down hill flashed in my mind. Leaving the cart behind as I grabbed Owen out and chased Josie down in the parking lot.

It took me longer than usual to wrangle the two of them and get them in their car seats. In the insandity I must have left the bags behind. And this time there was no husband or kind clerk to put the bags in the back for me.

"Back in the car guys," I said as Josie and Owen were about the make their break from the garage to the back yard.

"Why?" Josie asked.

"Because I forgot the groceries."

"Huh?" Josie said.

"Because we are going to McDonald's" I said.

"OK," Josie said. "Let's go Owen."

With french fries and shakes on the horizon, Josie and Owen got right into their car seats.

I realized my embarassment was far from over.

"Hi, I was just there with my two kids and I think, well I know, I left my groceries in the cart outside the store."

"Oh, Ok - I will go look for them."

As he put me on hold, I thought. It's only been 5 minutes. I live in Morgan Hill. The worst thing that could happen was that my milk might spoil.

"I'm sorry miss. I looked everywhere. They aren't there."

"What!?" I screamed. "I'll be right there."

By the time I had gotten to the store, the man who I yelled at on the phone had asked ever store clerk and responsible shopper if they had seen the bags that the dumb mom forgot.

When I walked in with Josie scream, "We already been here today" and Owen yelling for his shake, everyone knew exactly who I was and what I was looking for.

"I'm sorry" the clerk said who was closest to the door. "We looked everywhere."

I ran through the store and bought everything all over again. In between mad grabs I was trying to explain to Josie why I was buying the same things again.

When we finally got home and I fed them their prized happy meals, I was exhausted, embarrassed and irritated at the person who watched me drive away without my groceries.

I put Josie down for her nap. As I walked out of the room she called me.

"Mom. You forgot the food at the store today."

"Uh-huh" I said.

"And someone took it."

"I know."

"And you buy it again."

"Yes, All over again."

She laid back down and started reading her books, satisfied that I knew that she knew what really went down today.

No comments:

Post a Comment