Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Gatherers

For the last 18 hours, I enjoyed the company of my sister and her two daughters. While I may have enjoyed their company, yhere are no words to describe how happy their visit made Josie and Owen.

For spending so much time not together, it was a seamless transition once Julianne, Cristina and Josie arrived. Within seconds, Cristina was outside with Josie, Madeleine was making a pretend sandwich with Owen and Julianne was floating in between, not sure which one to squeeze first.

Norm left for work early. Josie woke up and I brought her into bed with me. I heard Owen wake up and Julianne, who was sleeping in the room with him, brought him out to the couch to wake up Madeleine and Cristina. It was like we had been living under the same roof and following the same morning routine for years.

I enjoyed the morning with my sister and her two daughters so much that I couldn't help but think of the women who lived thousands of years before us. And how much fun they must have had when the men went off hunting and pillaging. For months at a time.

I used to feel bad for women who lived thousands of years ago. For the freedoms they lacked and the modern conveniences they didn't have. But there was a certain element of the time we spent gathering this morning that made me a little jealous of the women who lived so long ago. It made me appreciate how much easier, and more fun, the day is when there are other women,and only women, to share it with. Especially women I love as much as my sister and her two daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment