Friday, June 25, 2010

My Wing Girl

In the throes of parenthood, its awful to admit that sometimes you look upon your children and wonder, 'what have you done for me lately?' Other than aggravate me, embarrass me, hurt me, and above all else, cause me to lose countless hours of sleep.

As a small baby the demands seem so overwhelming, especially the first child when so much is new and unknown. But a simple look or acknowledgement accompanied by a smile or sweet coo is all you need to replenish you for another night of feedings and another day of wiping spit up off their chin.

At almost 2 and 3 the challenges are so much more exhausting. For a lack of better word, more challenging. Especially with a daughter like Josie who sees every passing second as an opportunity to do something she wasn't doing the second before. And now she has a little shadow who despite every sweet and gentle bone in his body has taken to his big sister's wanton ways.

Today I took the two of them to Gilroy Gardens which is like Disneyland, Morgan Hill style. Garlic and strawberry themed rides. Sweet, simple, no lines and plenty of space to run around.

Owen is partial to the cars that go around in a circle. With each ride it is increasingly difficult to pry his fingers off the seat belt. I have to brace myself for a second just to maneuver him from the vehicle screaming and kicking for one more please.

In a moment of sheer mom idiocracy, I asked Josie to help Owen out on the last car ride of the day. After a day full of rides she had figured out the seat belts and I wanted to empower her to be my little helper. I think I saw that once on Super Nanny.

"Josie, can you help Owen get out of his seat?" completely forgetting what Owen was like the last time I tried to get him out of the car.

She walked over proudly and had him unbuckled in 2 seconds flat. From the wrought iron gate that surrounded the ride, I could sense by the way his hands were flapping with anger that this wasn't going to end well. Because Josie had a job to do and she was going to get it done.

"Get out, Owen," she said with more authority than I have ever expressed.

"No," he said. He took advantage of her position and started to pinch both her cheeks. Its his new signature move.

She reacted instinctively and started to claw at his arms. They were both screaming at each other.

A mother who had been standing next to me during the ride was walking towards them already. Her perfect toddler sized son was in the car in front of them wearing a hat, sunglasses, and sun protective body suit.

"Do you need help?" I heard her ask with an arrogant tone. She glanced up at me as I was starting to walk to them. I was wishing I had paid more attention to Owen's signature move. Instead I started to think about what I would say to her. Before I had the chance, Josie stopped clawing at her brother and looked up, "No. We fine," she said as she patted Owen's back while he got up from the car.

It was such a great moment watching Josie take care of business. Sure, we may be disobedient and mean and dysfunctional but we can take care of ourselves and we know how to take care of our own. Josie handled the difficult situation for me. A situation that she in part created, but I was proud to sit back for once and watch her do what she does best.

1 comment: