Monday, December 13, 2010

The Mountain View Farmer’s Market

My husband and I had been talking about going for weeks. But the first Sunday it rained. Then Owen had a runny nose. And last Sunday we forgot.

But as soon as we read that the Mountain View Farmer’s Market was voted the best in Bay Area, we knew there were no more excuses. The following Sunday, at 10am on the dot, the four us boarded the light rail and minutes later arrived at the Farmer’s Market ready for an agricultural adventure.

There were already a lot of people. Young families enjoying the experience and seasoned shoppers inspecting the produce and buying the best the market had to offer that day.

After checking out all the produce and discussing our meals for the week, my husband and I took turns buying our produce.

"A head of broccoli, please" He said and brought it back to show us how fresh and green it was.

"A basket of strawberries, please" I said and turned the stroller to give Josie and Owen a sample.

"Isn't this fantastic?" I asked Josie and Owen as I pushed them to the next stand.

"Isn’t this over?" Josie said, unimpressed by the experience so far.

My husband and I were shocked. We couldn’t believe that they weren’t having fun.

Rows of fresh produce. Free samples. A great community. We were having a blast. But Josie and Owen were looking for a McDonalds.

We decided to walk around one more time. We were half way through our last lap, when Josie and Owen started screaming and scrambling to get out of the stroller.

My husband and I looked around to see what vegetable had finally peaked their interest.

"I want a pink one," Josie said and ran full speed ahead to the man in a funny hat blowing up balloons.

Owen followed, "I want blue!"

And suddenly it all made sense. It wasn't fresh produce they were after. It was balloons animals.

"A blue tiger, please" Owen said.

"A pink butterfly, please" Josie said.

A few minutes later, we left the Mountain View Farmer’s Market with bags of fresh produce, two balloon animals and two, finally, ecstatic children.

We hope one day Josie and Owen enjoy the Mountain View Farmer’s market for the wonderful people and incredible fresh fruits and vegetables. But, for now, they are too busy enjoying their balloon animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment