Friday, November 19, 2010

Sweetest Sounds

I love the sounds of my husband giving my children a bath. On a good day. On a bad day it sounds like two hyenas being chased through the forest by a lion whose roar is far worse than his bite.

But on a good day it sounds like water splashing and children laughing and Norm singing the wrong words of a nursery rhyme. It makes my heart melt a little. I smile as I sit far away, in another room, by myself. Yes, I love hearing the sounds of my husband giving my children a bath.

I could tell bathtime was coming to an end tonnight because Norm had run out of nursery rhymes and all three of them were doing a "Let's go Giants" chant.

Suddenly, I heard Josie break off on her own with a "Let's go Dodgers," chant and I didn't need to be in the room to know that she was smiling and Norm was not.

Josie doesn't know or care who the Dodgers are, other than that the mere mention of this word makes the hairs on his neck stand up and his eyes narrows is ways they seldom do when he looks at her. She says it because she already knows the power of words. And she's using them to drive Norm crazy. Yes, I love hearing the sounds of my husband giving my children a bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment