Sunday, August 29, 2010

Forgot

It seems fitting that today, a day after I forgot to write, I share a story about cooking with Josie.

We were sitting in the play room admiring her pretend kitchen. She was showing me all of the buttons on the stove, the window into the oven and the place to put the eggs in the refrigerator.

We had just made pizzas for dinner and while they cooked she wanted to cook pizza in her pretend kitchen "all by herself."

I watched as she pushed the wood pizza around and held it up to let the dough fall a little, even though wood wouldn't budge. She used a spoon a put on some sauce. She put the spoon down and said, "Oh no, I forgot something." and ran around like a chicken with her head cut off for a few seconds. Then she got some pretend cheese and toppings and placed them carefully on the triangular pieces of wood. "Oh no, I made a mess," she said as she picked up some pretend toppings that had fallen on the floor.

When she was ready to put the pizzas in, she carefully loaded them on a plastic tray. She opened the oven, placed them inside and walked away, wandering aimlessly around the play room. A few seconds later she returned, "Oh no, I forgot to turn on the oven," she said with sincere panic in her voice. She pressed some buttons and walked through the real kitchen to play outside with her Dad and Owen.

With each "Oh no," I laughed and laughed. Its amazing to see yourself through someone else's eyes. Especially someone like Josie who doesn't miss a single thing. I better start watching cooking shows with her so she can learn how its really done.

No comments:

Post a Comment