Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Bread

I used to think that Josie's habit of sneaking in items while we were grocery shopping was the most annoying thing she did. There aren't words to describe how aggravating it is to unload a tub of pub cheese from your grocery bags. Some people might wonder why I didn't notice the tub of pub cheese being scanned and loaded into the grocery bags. But those people have never been grocery shopping with two toddlers.

Today, after my double tall latte, I was a little more alert and on guard while we roamed through the grocery store. I forgot my list but Josie and I reviewed it mentally on the way to Safeway. We made our way through the store without incident, got our items and were headed to the check-out.

For a second Owen distracted me by choking on his sugar cookie. I should have known better, those cookies are way to soft and delicious to choke on. Josie used the obviously planned diversion to sneak an item into the basket.

"Josie!" I yelled. "I told you not to put stuff in the basket without asking mommy."

She looked up at me with irritation instead of the sly smile she usually makes when she gets caught doing something wrong.

"Its just bread" She said as she looked me dead in the eyes. "You said bread in the car." She reminded me of our conversation in the car. I looked in the basket and there on its side was the loaf of french bread that I had forgotten to get.

As I stood there dumbfounded holding up the check-out line at Safeway, I realized that Josie's habit of sneaking in unwanted items is not, in fact, her most annoying habit. Her most annoying habit is being smarter than me...and knowing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment