Sunday, June 20, 2010

Owen's Naughty Voice

"Poopie!" Josie yelled.

"Soap?" I yelled towards the backseat of the car and eyed her in the rear view mirror.

"PeePee!" She responded eyeing me back in the mirror with a fearless grin.

"Same idea. Different word. Soap?" I asked again and she looked out the window.

"Poopie Owen," she said. She could hardly breathe as she shook with laughter in her car seat.

As I was driving up the 5, I pondered whether I had the energy to both drive the car 300 miles and make idle threats to Josie about the non-existent soap I was going to put in her mouth. I just ignored her.

"Poopie Owen! Poopie Owen! Poopie Owen!" She squealed with the glee at the ban that had been lifted for the car ride.

I looked up in the rear view mirror and smiled at Owen's sweet face as he looked over at his obnoxious sister with a loving smile. 'At least he doesn't really understand whats going on,' I thought as I focused back on the road.

Josie had taken a break to catch her breath and most likely switch from Poopie Owen to PeePee Owen. Before she could begin again, I heard a small voice coming from a sweet face in the back seat.

"Poopie Josie," He said. I almost steered off the road as I turned completely around in my seat to make sure it was him. It took only a second to realize it was in fact him. His eyes were bright, his grin from ear to ear, and his chest puffed up with new found pride. Owen had found his naughty voice.

As soon as Josie heard it, she laughed so hard tears were welling up in her eyes. "He said Poopie Josie mom!'' She clearly found pride in Owen's accomplishment. After all, he had a great teacher. But most of all, I think she was thrilled to have an adversary. And a partner. And another naught voice in the car to drown out hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment